Here you can find my papers. When possible, I've linked to a free print archived on Philpapers or elsewhere, as well as providing the citation to the version of record, which usually requires institutional access.
- Lisa Forsberg, Isra Black, Anthony Skelton, Jonathan Herring (eds), Consenting children: autonomy, well-being, responsibility (Proceedings of the British Academy) (under contract).
- Anthony Skelton, Lisa Forsberg, Isra Black, ‘Overriding adolescent refusals of treatment’, (2021) Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy (forthcoming)
- Isra Black, ‘Novel beings and assisted nonexistence’ (2021) CQHE (forthcoming in special issue on Regulating the Tyrell Corporation).
- Isra Black, ‘Refusing Life Prolonging Medical Treatment and the ECHR’ (2018) 38(2) OJLS 299 (free link).
- Isra Black and Ásgeir Helgason, ‘Using motivational interviewing to facilitate death talk in end-of-life care: an ethical analysis’ (2018) 17 BMC Palliative Care 51 (open access).
- Ralf J Jox, Isra Black, Gian Domenico Borasio, and Johanna Anneser, ‘Voluntary stopping of eating and drinking: is medical support ethically justified?’ 15(1) BMC Med 186 (open access).
- Isra Black and Lisa Forsberg, 'Would it be ethical to use motivational interviewing to increase family consent to deceased solid organ donation?' (2014) 40(1) Journal of Medical Ethics 63-68. JME. Philpapers postprint.
- Penney Lewis and Isra Black, 'Adherence to the Request Criterion in Jurisdictions where Assisted Dying is Lawful? A Review of the Criteria and Evidence in the Netherlands, Belgium, Oregon and Switzerland' (2013) 41(4) Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 885-898. Philpapers postprint.
- Penney Lewis and Isra Black, 'Reporting and scrutiny of reported cases in four jurisdictions where assisted dying is lawful: a review of the evidence in the Netherlands, Belgium, Oregon and Switzerland' (2013) 13(4) Medical Law International 221-239. Philpapers postprint.
Contributions to edited books
- Isra Black, ‘A pro tanto moral case for assisted death’ forthcoming in Sue Westwood (ed), Death Rights: Regulating the End of Life (Routledge 2021) (in press).
- Isra Black, ‘Patients, physicians, and law at the end of life in England and Wales’ in Ruth E Board, Michael I Bennett, Penney Lewis, John Wagstaff, Peter Selby (eds), Choices in End of Life Care for Cancer Patients (EBN Health 2020) (accepted manuscript). Accepted manuscript.
- Isra Black and Lisa Forsberg, ‘Ethical Challenges in the Applications of Motivational Interviewing in HIV Care’ in Antoine Douaihy and K Rivet Amico (eds), Motivational Interviewing in HIV Care (OUP 2020). Accepted manuscript.
- Isra Black, 'Existential Suffering and The Extent of the Right to Physician Assisted Suicide in Switzerland: Gross v Switzerland' (2014) 22(1) Medical Law Review 109-118.
- Isra Black, 'A postscript to Gross v Switzerland' (2014) 22(4) Medical Law Review 656.
- Isra Black, 'Suicide assistance for mentally disordered individuals in Switzerland and the State’s positive obligation to facilitate dignified suicide: Haas c Suisse' (2012) 20(1) Medical Law Review 157-166. Philpapers postprint.
- Lisa Forsberg, Isra Black, Thomas Douglas, and Jonathan Pugh, 'Compulsory vaccination for Covid-19 and human rights law', Written evidence to the UK Parliament Joint Committee on Human Rights (2020). Open access.
- Penney Lewis and Isra Black, 'The effectiveness of legal safeguards in jurisdictions that allow assisted dying', Briefing Paper for the Commission on Assisted Dying (2012). Open access.
- Isra Black, ‘Better off dead? Best interests physician assisted death’. Please contact me at isra.black [at] york.ac.uk for a copy.
Failures to fruit